Pages

Jun 7, 2011

Money, It's a Gas



I've come to face the ultimate truth that the majority of consumers are mindless sheep that will allow corporations to feed them rehashed products without question or consideration. I realize that originality can still be found in other areas of the video game market; however, with that being said, my annoyance at the announcement of Halo 4 comes from a broader grievance. Look at the Star Wars prequels--whether or not we choose to admit it, they have had a detrimental effect on the way we view the original trilogy. I can't get through a single viewing of episodes IV, V, or VI without thoughts about Midi-chlorians or how Anakin built C-3PO looming in the back of my mind. What I'm trying to say is that, as a nostalgic nerd that can still remember the day I purchased Halo: Combat Evolved, I have a soft spot for the story of Master Chief's plight as a soldier. While playing the games you develop a bond with the character. His solemnity and commitment to his duty make him likable; thus, allowing us to have an emotional investment in the plot. This enables an arcane practice called "story telling" to be the key motivator for completing the game. If you are aware of video games outside the realm of Call of Duty you might be familiar with it.

Now, I'm not saying that I got choked up and cried at the end of Halo 3, but I do care enough about the story that I would be disappointed if it was blemished by later, unnecessary (in my opinion) games. This businesslike practice of endlessly creating sequels for successful games goes a long way in hindering the argument that video games are a form of art. Granted, film is an accepted art form and look at the state of Hollywood. Shows how much I really know...

No comments:

Post a Comment